Thursday, May 13, 2010

XyLoCoPa

What can clear a room in less than 10 seconds?











A BIG BLACK BEE!!!

This picture was taken while I was standing outside on my back patio. That "thing" is in my living room trying to penetrate two panes of glass. I eventually trapped it in a cup, then we got it wet so it couldn't fly (and kill me), then I put it in a glass jar. After a little research on the internet, I discovered that it was a "Xylocopa" or Carpenter Bee. The males have no stinger, so they are basically harmless, just a bit aggressive and like to fly right at you. Shortly after discovering this, I let him go. By let him go, I really mean, I threw him outside while I hightailed it back in the house!

2 comments:

Kamille said...

fascinating. and gross.

Nanci said...

I'm totally picturing you chucking it out the door and booking in back inside...just what I would do too. Yuck!